Feed the World!

Feed the World!
Go to www.freerice.com and answer vocab questions to donate rice.

Monday, October 8, 2007

Drowning in Romance

Briefly, to explain this, I had just finished a 6 page paper on Wordsworth's "Prelude" and then found out that I had to read the Dejection Ode by Coleridge for the same class, which did not amuse me. So, instead, I wrote my own dejection verses.

What wishful thinking had I in that hour
When challenge met with deep intuit power,
That last o'ercome was last of all.
Great virtue pulled, uplifted from my cower
Until I was upheld, but now the sour
Aftertwinge of duties left did call.

At two, now three, the lines of raw poetic woe (1)
Obscured from time to time night's daydream show;
Good writer true but man of wrong.
Dear Coleridge chanted, overcome with slow
And dark enshrouded thoughts best left alone
For despairing ones amongst the throng.

Itching eyes and sagging brow;
Sleep take me, if thou will, right now!


1. Coleridge's, not my own

No comments: