Feed the World!

Feed the World!
Go to www.freerice.com and answer vocab questions to donate rice.

Friday, April 13, 2007

To Engage in a Duel

For several years I have been sliding down that well-known (and unequivocally slippery) slope towards obsession with crossword puzzles. I'm not good at them, but I long for them, particularly Monday and Tuesday. I can get completely lost in a puzzle, slaving over a single crossword for hours without losing a bit of focus. I've gotten better, as well, and the satisfaction of finally figuring out that last tricky hint is more exhilarating than...almost anything.

As my good friends will attest, I tend to be possessive about my crossword puzzles. I take each one as a personal challenge, and I get great pleasure from every clue I decifer on my own. This is why I do not share my crosswords...unless I'm stuck on some insignificant popular media icon. As those same friends will likewise attest, I have no use for most of the idolized celebrities and their mindless affairs. Puh-leeze, hand me a paper and I won't pause for even a glance and the entertainment page; oh, no, I'm going for the crossword.

And yes, I realize you'll be laughing when I'm stuck on "'idol' judge with Randy and Simon." But I don't care.

The moral fiber of my world is at stake...and that just barely overshadows my crosswords.

To Engage in a Duel, you ask?........... Crossswords. :)

2 comments:

David said...

Have you seen the documentary 'Wordplay', about the American Crossword Puzzle Tournament? I actually haven't, but I did read a book about the tournament a couple years ago...apparently it's a pretty wild affair!

Oh, and Will Shortz, the editor of the NY Times Crossword, went to law school at UVA.

ihop unpublished said...

That's actually the inspiration for this post. Lina thought I would like it, and I did. I wish I were that good at crosswords.